- Clift, Montgomery (1920-1966). Costumes and Personal Effects, ca. 1900 [?]-ca. 1966 (bulk 1940s-1960s)
- Conway, Gordon (1894-1956). Costumes and Personal Effects, ca. 1980 (based on designs from the 1920s and 1930s)
- De Niro, Robert (1943- ). Personal Effects, 1967-2005
- Doyle, Arthur Conan, Sir (1859-1930). Personal Effects, ca. 1880-ca. 1930
- Gardner, Erle Stanley (1902-1992). Study, ca. 1795-1970 (bulk 1930-1967)
- McCullers, Carson (1917-1967). Personal Effects, ca. 1940s-ca. 1960s
- Sexton, Anne (1928-1974). Personal Effects, 1932-1974
- Shepard, Sam (1943- ). Personal Effects, 1982-2000
- Stein, Gertrude (1874-1946). Personal Effects, ca. 1900s-ca. 1960s
- Willoughby-Blake Collection of Silver and Decorative Arts, 1711/1712-ca. 1940s (bulk 1776-1790)
In addition to the books, manuscripts, letters, and photographs that typically make up an individual's archive, the Ransom Center occasionally receives personal articles. Take, for instance, the letter opener belonging to the prolific playwright and letter-writer George Bernard Shaw, the lapis lazuli seal given to D. H. Lawrence by Lady Ottoline Morrell, or the hair brooch and mother-of-pearl compact given by Edgar Allan Poe to Sarah Elmira Royster Shelton, the childhood sweetheart he courted during the last year of his life. These evocative objects extend our knowledge of the owners and their relationships with others.
Some of the figures represented in the personal effects collection are Alice Adams, Aubrey Beardsley, Lee Blessing, E. E. Cummings, Robert De Niro, Charles Dickens, J. Frank Dobie, Arthur Conan Doyle, David Douglas Duncan, Robert Frost, Erle Stanley Gardner, Rudyard Kipling, D. H. Lawrence, Sinclair Lewis, Carson McCullers, Sir Compton Mackenzie, Steve Martin, Edgar Lee Masters, Christopher Morley, Anne Sexton, George Bernard Shaw, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Gertrude Stein, Tom Stoppard, Ray Walston, and Evelyn Waugh.
Personal effects may be viewed in the Center's Reading and Viewing Rooms. A minimum of 24 hours notice is required to pull items to the Reading Room. Some of these collections are stored offsite and may require up to three business days notice for access in the Reading Room. Please contact the Center before requesting personal effects: email@example.com.
Costumes and personal effects collections are not available on Saturdays.
The Reading Room Will Be Closed:
May 25, 2015
July 4, 2015
Always closed on Sundays