Harry Ransom CenterThe University of Texas at Austin

Search Collections

David Douglas Duncan

Russia

index / next

View of a street, flanked by various imposing towers, in the Kremlin complex, all covered in snow.

The Kremlin with its various towers and steeples has undergone several reconstructions and renovations throughout its long history. The Saviour's Tower (left), St. Nicholas' Tower (center), and the Corner Arsenal Tower (right) were built between 1491 and 1492. In 1625 a steeple and clock were added to the Saviour's Tower, although the original clock tower later burned in 1654. Construction began again in 1874, lasting until 1883, during which time more tower steeples and the Historical Museum were constructed. Moscow, 1956.

Title derived from The Kremlin, p. 153.