Traveling to Austin UP
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport serves the Austin area.
Several travel options are available from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to the Ransom Center and area hotels. Detailed information may be found on the airport's Ground Transportation webpage. Of note are the "Airport Flyer" bus route, which runs between the airport and various Austin locations and SuperShuttle.
The Austin Amtrak station is located at 250 North Lamar Blvd. and is convenient to downtown Austin. Please visit www.amtrak.com for schedules and pricing.
Austin Accommodations UP
The AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center hotel is located on The University of Texas at Austin campus, just two blocks from the Ransom Center.
A Hampton Inn & Suites is located four blocks from the Ransom Center.
Many downtown hotels are within walking distance of the Ransom Center.
The Austin Convention and Visitors Bureau features a listing of hotels throughout the downtown and greater Austin area.
Transportation to the Ransom Center UP
The Harry Ransom Center is located at 21st and Guadalupe Streets, on the far southwest end of The University of Texas at Austin campus, and just north of downtown Austin. The physical address is 300 West 21st Street, Austin, TX 78712. Main thoroughfares around campus include Guadalupe Street to the west, Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Boulevard to the south, Red River Street to the east and 26th (Dean Keeton) Street to the north. A map of the Ransom Center is available on our website or on Google Maps.
Capital Metro is Austin's regional public transportation provider. Their services include local routes with multiple stop service to and from neighborhoods and downtown, express routes and rail service, and University of Texas at Austin shuttle routes.
For complete information on routes and fares, visit www.capmetro.org or call 512-474-1200. For point-to-point directions using public transportation, use the Capital Metro Trip Planner tool, or visit maps.google.com and use the "Directions" link, choosing the bus icon.
Capital Metro routes near the Ransom Center include:
- MetroBus: Local routes 1, 3, 5, 18, and 19; express routes 982, 983, 985, 987, and 990.
- MetroRapid: 801.
- UT Shuttles: Forty Acres (640 FA), Lake Austin (663 LA), and West Campus (642 WC).
- MetroRail: Red Line to MLK, Jr. Station with transfer to 464 MLK, Jr./Capitol Connector or local route 18.
B-cycle is Austin's new bike share program. It offers a network of 24-hour on-demand bicycle stations throughout the downtown area. For more information, visit austin.bcycle.com.
- Austin Yellow Cab: 512-452-9999
- Austin Cab: 512-478-2222
- Lone Star Cab: 512-836-4900
Rental Car Companies:
- Avis Car Rental: (512) 530-3400
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: (512) 530-8100
- Hertz Rent-A-Car: (512) 530-3600
For a more complete list, visit the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport's Ground Transportation webpage.
Driving Directions to the Ransom Center UP
- Directions from IH-35:
Take Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Blvd. exit (exit 235A) and turn west onto MLK Blvd. Campus will be on your right. Travel west on MLK Blvd. until it intersects with Guadalupe St. Turn north (right) on Guadalupe St. The first stoplight is 21st St. Turn east (right) onto 21st and the Harry Ransom Center will be on the left.
- Directions from MoPac/Highway 1*:
Take the Windsor Rd. exit and turn east onto Windsor Rd. Windsor Rd. turns into 24th St.. Continue to travel east on 24th St. until it dead-ends into Guadalupe St., the western border of campus. Turn south (right) on Guadalupe St. At the third stoplight, turn east (left) to 21st St. and the Harry Ransom Center will be on the left. *Please note, this route includes toll roads.
- Directions from Highway 71:
From east of Austin, take IH-35 North and follow directions for IH-35 above.
From west of Austin, take MoPac/Highway 1 North and follow directions for MoPac/Highway 1 above.
- Directions from US-290:
From east of Austin, take I-35 South and follow directions for I-35 above.
From west of Austin, follow directions for Highway 71 above.
- Directions from US-183:
From north of Austin, take MoPac/Highway 1 South and follow directions for MoPac/Highway 1 above.
From south of Austin, take Highway 111/Airport Blvd. North to Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Blvd. Turn west (left) onto MLK Blvd. and continue west on MLK Blvd. until it intersects with Guadalupe St. Turn north (right) on Guadalupe St. The first stoplight is 21st St. Turn east (right) onto 21st and the Harry Ransom Center will be on the left.
Parking at the Ransom Center UP
Parking near the University is limited and in most cases requires a fee. Be sure to obey parking signs throughout the greater campus area. Restrictions are enforced. Paid parking is available by meters, paid lots, or garages.
Please note that the Ransom Center does not validate parking. Fees are calculated based on the amount of time you are in the garage.
There are a number of University garages within walking distance to the Ransom Center, including:
- Brazos Garage (210 E. Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Blvd., near The Blanton Museum of Art)
- Guadalupe Garage (1616 Guadalupe St., near Clay Pit restaurant and Dog & Duck Pub)
- San Antonio Garage (2420 San Antonio St., between 24th and 25th Streets, just west of campus)
- AT&T Conference Center Garage (1900 University Ave., beneath the AT&T Center and Hotel, 2 blocks south of the Ransom Center).
University garage daily paid parking rates:
0-0.5 hour no charge
0.5-1 hour $3
1-2 hours $6
2-3 hours $9
3-4 hours $12
4-8 hours $15
8-24 hours $18
Lost tickets are $27
Other garages include:
- Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum (beneath the museum; entrance on south side on 18th St.); $8 for full day parking; free after 6pm; hours subject to change on UT game days.
- Dobie Mall (2005 Whitis Avenue, across the street from the Ransom Center); $3.50 per hour; $1.75 each additional half hour; max fee per day is $12.
A map of parking options near the Ransom Center is available at hrc.utexas.edu/visit.