Harry Ransom CenterThe University of Texas at Austin

email signup
Search Collections
Spring 2003 Newsletter

A New Friendship, In So Many Words

Photograph

John Saumarez Smith at G. Heywood Hill.
Photo by Christopher Simon Sykes.

The Ransom Center has recently developed an association with London booksellers G. Heywood Hill with aims to expand its current acquisition of important books.

G. Heywood Hill was founded by George Heywood Hill and his wife, Anne, in 1936 on Curzon Street in Mayfair, and is currently overseen by John Saumarez Smith, who has worked there since 1965. The shop which was frequented in the past by such notable personalities as Evelyn Waugh, Graham Greene, and Nancy Mitford (who worked there), also sponsors the Heywood Hill Literary Prize, awarded annually in June at the Duke of Derbyshire's house, which has the most famous private library in the United Kingdom.

We are pleased to partner with Heywood Hill and look forward to a long and rewarding relationship.  

—TW


Table of Contents