The Return of P.O.P. Culture
The advent of the fall semester signals the beginning of another annual occasion: Poetry on the Plaza. In its fifth year since inception, Poetry on the Plaza will feature an array of poetry on a broad range of themes, beginning with our annual visit from Actors from the London Stage on Wednesday, September 22.
Poetry on the Plaza is a monthly noontime reading series sponsored by the Ransom Center. It is generally held on the first Wednesday of each month and features the works of authors whose papers are housed at the Center. Readers are drawn from the local community and have included professors and students at the university as well as local celebrities.
The readings take place on the plaza directly east of the Ransom Center's main entrance. Poetry on the Plaza is free and open to the public. In cases of inclement weather, readings will be held in the Ransom Center's Lobby.
- Wednesday, September 22 at noon - The Spirit of Scotland
- Wednesday, October 6 at noon - Poetry of Politics
- Wednesday, November 3 at noon - De-lovely: Cole Porter
- Wednesday, December 1 at noon - Winter Dreaming
- Wednesday, February 2 at noon - Glamour and Grammar
- Wednesday, March 2 at noon - TEXAS
During the month of April, Poetry on the Plaza celebrates National Poetry Month with weekly events.
- Wednesday, April 6 at noon - The Beats
- Wednesday, April 13 at noon - Geographies
- Wednesday, April 20 at noon - Slam
- Wednesday, April 27 at noon - Forty Acres of Words
- Wednesday, May 4 at noon - World Poetry